You are here: Home Studies and Teaching A to Z - Study FAQ Erasmus


What is Erasmus?

The European Union supports students who are enrolled at a European university and who want to study for 3 - 12 months at another European university through the Erasmus program. The students are selected by their home university. They do not have to pay any tuition fees at the host university. Credits earned abroad will in principle be accepted and transferred. In order to cover for the additional cost of studying abroad the participants of the Erasmus program receive a scholarship and additional, but limited, financial aid towards the cost of a language course in the host county. The host university helps the students find accommodation and offers social and study-related support.

Dates and Deadlines

Students who are interested in the Erasmus program are kindly asked to apply quite early. The application deadline for the winter semester is February 28 and July 31 for the summer semester. If all other qualifications are the same, students who apply early will be preferentially selected.

Please note: In a few cases, the application period for the language courses offered by the host university ends at the end of February. Please check out the website of the host university to determine the exact deadline and to thereby start your application in a timely fashion.

Partner Universities

To find out which partner universities offer exchanges, please click here. The list also contains spots for students from other faculties, which you can use if they are not already taken.

Target Group

All students who are enrolled at the University of Freiburg in one of the following study programs may apply for the Erasmus program:

  • Embedded Systems Engineering
  • Computer Science
  • Microsystems Engineering
  • Sustainable Systems Engineering


The application should contain:

  • A letter of motivation for a specific partner university outlining the reasons for your desire to study abroad with Erasmus and for choosing that specific partner university (2 pages max.).
  • A curriculum vitae in tabular form that also includes a photo of you.
  • A description of your extracurricular activities and proof of language proficiency (e.g. secondary school marks, test certificates such as Cambridge or TOEFL, recommendation from a language teacher, or letter of motivation written in the language of the host country).
  • A copy of your secondary school certificate.
  • A transcript of records showing the completed courses and obtained grades and a list of courses you are planning to take in the future (abroad as well as in Freiburg).
  • A completed learning agreement.
  • If you want to apply for a spot that is not in line with your current study field, you should also submit a letter of recommendation from a professor in your study field.

The learning agreement may be changed during the stay abroad. For the application, it is sufficient to submit a draft of the learning agreement that is based on the courses offered by the host university in the past. Microsystems engineering students are required to ask the dean of studies to approve their learning agreement before they go abroad.

And if I am not accepted?

Unfortunately, the number of spots is limited. We are continuously trying to extend the number of universities and seats, but sometimes it happens that a student cannot get a spot in his/her preferred host university. In this case, there are the following options:

  • As mentioned before, it is possible to apply for spots that have not been filled by other faculties (a list is available at the University of Freiburg's EU office).
  • You can go abroad as a free mover based on a one-time agreement between the host university and the University of Freiburg. It is usually best if this agreement is made by two professors from the respective departments.
  • You can do an internship in a foreign country.
  • You can explore which possibilities there are to study for one semester at a non-European university.
  • You can take a leave of absence to study abroad at your own financial expense.

Contact Persons